Why Join a Union?
Trade unions have been fighting for workers’ rights for over a century. Mandate Trade Union represents workers in Dunnes and is dedicated to securing better pay, working conditions, and employment rights for its members.
By becoming a member of Mandate, which is a member-led organisation, workers have the opportunity to have their voices heard, and to collectively work towards a more equitable and just workplace.
Why Join a Trade Union?
Being a member of Mandate offers numerous benefits, including:
- Collective Strength: Unions can fight for better wages, benefits, and working conditions for workers as they have the backing of a larger group of employees.
- Professional Representation: Members have access to professional representation from our union officials who can provide assistance when needed and representation in 3rd party cases such as unfair dismissal or discrimination etc.
- Employment Rights Advice: Members have access to employment rights advice, which can help them navigate employment law and understand their rights as workers.
- Advocacy: Unions campaign and advocate for workers’ rights on a national platform, ensuring that their voices are heard, and their needs are met.
- Education & training: Mandate offers a range of training and education opportunities to their members to help them develop their skills and knowledge.
- Organising & Campaigning Advice: Mandate can provide advice and guidance on organising and campaigning for workers’ rights, ensuring that workers have a voice in their workplace.
- Support: Mandate provides support to its members when they need it most, such as during disputes with employers, collective actions in store/national or individual representation etc.
How to Join Mandate
Joining Mandate is easy and can be done in two ways:
- Click this link www.joinmandate.ie and complete the online form. Payments will be made via your debit card and can be weekly or monthly.
- Complete the physical application form which you can request to have posted to your address by clicking here (Insert link https://dunnesworkers.com/contact-us/) and send it back via free post to our office. Payments will be made via direct debit and will be monthly.
Dunnes Workers on Why They Joined Mandate:
Getting Involved in the Union:
Being an active Union member helps to strengthen your union and ensure that workers’ voices are heard. Here are some ways that you can get involved:
- Collective actions: When issues arise in your store talk to other workers and try to gather support for the grievance. The more people involved, the stronger the case can be. Consider organising a meeting, survey or a petition to demonstrate the level of concern among employees. Find out more about grievances and complaints in Dunnes by clicking here (insert this link https://tinyurl.com/DunnesGrievanceComplaint).
- Attend Union Meetings: Mandate holds regular meetings where members can discuss issues affecting their workplace and the union. Attending a meeting is a great way to meet other members and get involved in the unions activities.
- Join Committees Or Local Councils: Mandate have committees that focus on specific areas such as the Youth Committee campaigning on issues affecting young people, Dunnes National committee campaigning on issues affecting Dunnes workers etc., and local Union councils that focus on issues in your area. Joining a committee or local Union council can help you to develop your skills and knowledge and make a difference in your workplace.
- Take Training Courses: Mandate offers a range of training courses to its members, from basic employment law to advanced leadership skills. Taking a course can help you take a leading role in the union and become a more effective advocate for workers’ rights.
- Campaign For Workers’ Rights: Mandate campaigns for better pay, improved working conditions, and stronger job security for its members. Getting involved in a campaign is a great way to make a difference in your workplace and contribute to the wider labour movement.
Mandate’s successful campaigning in Dunnes has shown the importance of a strong union in securing better pay and working conditions for workers. However, every non-member in the company weakens our collective voice and our ability to improve working conditions further.
It is for this reason we actively engaging with non-members to encourage them to consider joining the union, in order to empower them to stand up for their rights and make a positive difference in their workplace.
If you would like more information or have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.